MLK Had a Dream, We Made it a Reality
Our Annual MLK Day 2023 was a success! After a 2-year hiatus, we were able to host this year’s event in-person with all of the movement’s greats in one place.
With over 1,200 in attendance, we had an inspiring line up that included keynotes from legendary figures within the Labor Movement. In a powerful show of Black and Brown unity, our speakers included:
- Lee Saunders, the President of AFSCME
- Doug Moore, the Executive Director of UDW 90 & AFSCME 3930
- April Verrett, the Secretary Treasurer of SEIU
- Alex Padilla, the US Senator for California
- Maria Elena Durazo, the California State Senator, 24th State Senate District
- Pastor Eddie Anderson, the Senior Pastor, McCarty Memorial Christian Church
- Natalie Gonzalez, the President of IAM 1930
- Dominique DiPrima, the Talk Radio Host at KBLA Talk 1580
Our celebrity host, Yvette Nicole Brown from the hit show Community kept the show moving before sitting down with Mayor-Elect Karen Bass for an insightful interview on the influence of our past Labor Leaders on Mayor-Elect Bass and her plans for ensuring working people in Los Angeles are able to thrive. The event ended with a moving keynote by our very own LA Fed President, Yvonne Wheeler on how we will keep MLK’s legacy alive as we move forward as a united LA Labor Movement.
Feel free to view our photo gallery below: