Que Viva Miguel Contreras!: Take a Look at the Inaugural Miguel Contreras Cinco de Mayo Awards
Our first ever Miguel Contreras Cinco de Mayo Awards 2023 was a success! Beloved LA labor leader, Miguel Contreras, often took Cinco de Mayo to celebrate the achievements of the Labor Movement. This year, we are continuing his legacy in recognizing those he would call, “Labor Warriors”–people in the LA Labor Movement that do more than just stand in solidarity, they pass policy that changes working people’s lives.
With over 300 in attendance, this intimate gathering of LA’s Warriors for Working Families had an inspiring line up that included speeches from legendary figures within the Labor Movement. In a powerful show of solidarity, our speakers included:
- Yvonne Wheeler, the President of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor
- Maria Elena Durazo, the US Senator for California
- Herb Wesson, the Former President of the Los Angeles City Council
- Antonio Villaraigosa, Former LA City Mayor
- Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher, the Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the California Federation of Labor
- Fabian Nunez, the Former Speaker of the California State Assembly
- Dolores Huerta, legendary Labor Activist
- Hilda Solis, the Supervisor for the Los Angeles County Board – 1st district.
All of whom, celebrated our Labor Warrior Awardees below:
- Michael Contreras, The Miguel Contreras “Labor Warrior” Award
- Xochitl Cobarruvias, The Maria Elena Durazo “She Se Puede” Award
- John Grant, The Mike Garcia “Humanitarian” Award
- Bobby De La Cruz, The United Farmworkers (UFW) Award
- United To House LA (ULA), The Dolores Huerta “Labor & Community Champion” Award
Our legendary host, Herb Wesson kept the show moving as each awardee took the stage to inspire our audience with words of encouragement and inspiration. Each one reminiscing on Miguel’s legacy and how we move forward as a united LA Labor Movement.
Feel free to view our photo gallery below: