SEIU United Healthcare Workers West – Regional Political Organizer
Position: Regional Political Organizer
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The Political/Community Regional Organizer reports to the Deputy Political Director and is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our infrastructure and engage our members to be a powerful force at their worksites, in the legislative process, in the community, and at the ballot box.
Locations: CA Regions
Areas of Responsibility
- Provide support to representational staff for the recruitment, training, leadership development and coordination of member political activists for political fundraising, electoral campaigns, issue campaign and legislative meetings and other union activities;
- Track and support increased member participation using various database functions;
- Work with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for
members participation in candidate interviews, lobby days, town hall meetings, elected official
accountability activities, voter registration drives, vote-by-mail, and GOTV activities;
- Provide staff support to our Committee On Political Education (COPE), present at Stewards
Councils and member meetings, schedule PAC meetings, train and mentor staff, COPE chairs
and member activists to help them achieve political goals;
- Work with staff and members to integrate political strategy into planning for contract and
- Prepare and/or support the creation of member education materials;
- Plan and manage multiple campaigns and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure
environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies;
- Represent SEIU-UHW interests in Central Labor Councils, constituency groups, and
community organizations, in their region.
- Empower the membership to build effective advocacy relationships with elected officials,
community partners, and other stakeholders; and,
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Minimum of three years legislative, political organizing, or campaign experience with a labor
union, state or local agency or association, non-profit community organization or progressive
- Ability to travel and willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, build strong
working relationships and hold others accountable;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to creating a positive work environment that encourages
personal responsibility, initiative, and innovation;
- Self-motivated, great attitude and strong team player;
- Strong sense of professionalism and integrity;
- Proven ability to work with a diverse group of people, from union members to union staff and
leaders to elected officials to other community and issue stakeholders;
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office programs;
- Previous experience in speech writing, media work, and other communication/public relations
fields are highly desirable; and,
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit
SEIU is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates
regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with at least three references as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Regional Political Organizer in the subject line.