Secretary/Bookkeeper – Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, is the second-largest labor council in the country representing more than 300 local unions and hundreds of thousands of rank-and-file union members. The Federation is a model for the nation of how a central labor body can transform the labor movement by actively assisting its affiliates with their organizing and bargaining drives, and changing the way unions do politics.
The mission of the LA FED, as it is known, is to be a voice for working people battling to break into or remain in the middle class; to encourage them to actively participate in the civic and political life of their nation, state, and community; and to advance public policies supporting workers and their families.
To learn more about the LA Fed, please visit www.thelafed.org
We are seeking a motivated Secretary/Bookkeeper to join the team of one of the most innovative and successful local labor movements in America. The Secretary/Bookkeeper will be working with the administrative team under the direction of the Staff Director.
This is a full-time position generally performed during normal business hours. The position includes the duties as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary duties focus on administrative tasks such as filing and organizing office space.
- Responsible for confidential files
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Assist with processing Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll (as needed)
- Prepares materials for and assists with meetings
- Manages, maintains and updates databases
- Assists with special events and projects
- Composes and types routine correspondence
- Travel (locally) to carry-out administrative duties.
- Other general administrative duties, including but not limited to: routine mass mailings, answering phones and correspondences, filing, photocopying, scanning, and scheduling (as needed)
- Basic computer knowledge, ability to use Windows, Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Experience in bookkeeping systems and databases (required)
- Bilingual Spanish/English, spoken and written (preferred)
- At least two years of previous experience in a professional office environment
- Outgoing, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Excellent interpersonal, phone and written skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to manage several projects
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexible, supportive and team-oriented
- Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity
- Reliable transportation
- Experience in a union office is a plus
- Must be available to work mornings and evenings for various events throughout the year (as needed)
Salary: $24.00 per hour. This is a full-time position. Benefits include Pension and 401(k) plan, Health, Dental, and Vision. Position covered by OPEIU 537 collective bargaining agreement – Grade 2.
To Apply: Please email resume with cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working for the labor movement, as well as three references to Resume@theLAFED.org. No phone calls. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.