Political Advocate – AFSCME District Council 36
AFSCME DISTRICT COUNCIL 36
Political Advocate/Los Angeles
The American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME) District Council 36 is a federation of nearly 60 autonomous local unions in Southern California. We are dedicated to serving our local union affiliates and their members in all aspects of collective bargaining and representation. We are a union committed to democratic principles and member involvement.
District Council 36 searching for a Political Advocate committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The successful candidate for this position will be self-motivated and resourceful, with the skills, experience, and enthusiasm to lead the Union’s legislative, electoral, and community relations activities throughout Southern California. This position supports and enhances the representational work of our affiliates and International Union. The position will work out of our Los Angeles office in the Koreatown section.
The Political Advocate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan and coordinate electoral, legislative and political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and related events for our various cities, counties, state and federal public policy campaigns.
- Providing educational materials, training as necessary, and logistical support.
- Filing applicable lobbying reports, political expenditure reports, etc.
- Participating in contract teams and developing political strategies in support of the Union’s organizing and bargaining efforts; and building ad-hoc coalitions and other community actions to support them.
- Working with AFSCME staff, officers, and members to conduct endorsement interviews and make advisory recommendations to the Union’s Executive Board.
- Advocating for bills and other political initiatives in Sacramento (overnight travel is occasionally required).
- Supporting organizers and rank-and-file leaders in meeting the political fundraising goals of the AFSCME PEOPLE program.
- Acting as a contact between the Union and relevant staff leaders of other unions and allied groups to coordinate the Union’s involvement in legislative and electoral coalitions and independent expenditures campaigns.
- Assessing political propositions and geographical needs.
- Monitoring political and public policy developments and developing options for action.
- Experience in designing and implementing powerful and effective grassroots lobbying, electoral field work, community coalition building, or work as a legislative lobbyist or staff person.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience building strong working professional relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment the goals and philosophy of organized labor, equity and social justice.
- Ability to relate successfully to individuals of all races, nationalities, religions, genders, sexual orientations, income levels, educational backgrounds, and occupational groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work long hours, weekends, independently, under stress and tight timelines.
- Prior union organizing experience and a basic knowledge of labor relations are preferred, but not required.
- Fluency in Spanish as well as English is preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and use of the Internet.
- Must have a car, driver’s license and insurance.
For more information about AFSCME District Council 36, go to our website at www.AFSCME36.org.
Compensation: Salary range is negotiable between $52,000 to $72,000 annually commensurate with experience. This position is covered by a union contract that includes employer paid medical and dental benefits, holidays, sick leave, vacation, 401(k), and pension benefits.
How to Apply:
Email your résumé, cover letter, and references to: HR@AFSCME36.org. Please use “Political Advocate” in the subject line of your email.