Organizer – AFT Local 1521
Position: AFT Local 1521 Organizer
Given the nation-wide attack on public education and unions, the recent Janus v.AFSCME Supreme Court decision, and the continuing challenges of organizing and activating members, AFT Local 1521 (the Los Angeles College “Faculty Guild”) is hiring an Organizer. The Organizer works with the Organizing Director and member leaders to grow organizational capacity. The team will build member power to win our union-wide contract campaign (contract expires 6/30/2020) and effectively carry out our union’s goals, and build a culture and Department that prioritizes organizing within the union.
AFT 1521 is a progressive union representing 5,000 full-time and adjunct faculty on all nine campuses of the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD).
The primary responsibility of the Organizer will be to strengthen and grow existing member organizing teams on every campus. The Organizer will:
- Work with member leadership to design and implement campaigns to build organizational power. Duties include
- Leadership identification, recruitment, development, and training of members;
- Increase membership through worker to worker outreach
- Develop and implement an internal organizing plan for worksite campaigns for specific issues including budget, work conditions, contract negotiations, etc.
- Establish and carry out plans to address the impact of the Janus decision and other attacks on unions and public education
- Engage members for participation in union events and political activities
- Mobilize faculty around student, community and labor solidarity issues
- Organize member support for electoral campaigns and COPE
- Activate members in workplace, political and legislative campaigns
- Work with community and other groups to advance the Faculty Guild’s contract and community campaigns.
- Represent the Faculty Guild as assigned in community and labor coalition activities.
- Contract campaigns or other union internal organizing experience is a strong plus. Experience building committees/teams in an organizing context is a plus.
- Ability to establish rapport with and organize union members from widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Good judgment and ability to discern priorities when faced with many important tasks.
- Willingness to work independently, with occasional long and irregular hours.
- Ability to communicate well in writing and orally.
- Ability to maintain work files and manage membership assessments.
- Proficiency with computers and applications including, but not limited to: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, E-mail and Internet.
- Two or more years of union organizing experience preferred. Prior experience with public, education, or higher ed unions is helpful.
- Ability to drive to LACCD campuses and worksites throughout Los Angeles County. Driver’s License and vehicle required.
- Experience in escalating contract campaigns is preferable. Experience building committees/teams in an organizing context is a strong plus. Familiarity with contract language, bargaining procedure, or knowledge of labor rights is a plus.
Terms and Conditions:
This position is open to both LACCD faculty and non-LACCD employees.
Non-district employees will receive $60,000 to $80,000 per year depending on experience. Benefits will be negotiated.
Send resume to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is January 12th, 2019. Desire for candidate to begin position by mid-February.
AFT 1521 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from those who identify as women, working-class, people of color, and LGBT+