Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO – Secretary
The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, is the second-largest labor council in the country representing more than 300 local unions, worker organizations, and hundreds of thousands of rank-and-file union members. The Federation is a model for the nation of how a central labor body can transform the labor movement by actively assisting its affiliates with their organizing and bargaining drives, and changing the way unions do politics.
The mission of the LA Fed, as it is known, is to be a voice for working people battling to break into or remain in the middle class; to encourage them to actively participate in the civic and political life of their nation, state, and community; and to advance public policies supporting workers and their families.
To learn more about the LA Fed, please visit www.thelafed.org
We are seeking a motivated Secretary to join the team of one of the most innovative and successful local labor movements in America. The Secretary will be working with the administrative team under the direction of the Staff Director.
This is a full-time position generally performed during normal business hours. Due to the current pandemic, the ability to work remotely is required. The position includes the duties as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary duties focus on administrative tasks such as filing and organizing office space
- Prepares materials for and assists with meetings
- Manages, maintains and updates databases
- Assists with special events and projects
- Composes and types routine correspondence
- Travel (locally) to carry out administrative duties.
- Responsible for confidential files
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Assist with processing Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll (as needed)
- Other general administrative duties, including but not limited to: routine mass mailings, answering
phones and correspondences, filing, photocopying, scanning and scheduling (as needed)
- At least two years of previous experience in a professional office environment performing administrative
- Basic computer knowledge, ability to use Windows, Microsoft Office and Google Drive (required)
- Some experience or understanding of bookkeeping systems (required)
- Some experience in database management (required)
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to manage several projects
- Bilingual Spanish/English, spoken and written (preferred)
- Outgoing, welcoming, and professional demeanor
- Excellent interpersonal, phone and written skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexible, supportive and team-oriented
- Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity
- Reliable transportation (required)
- Experience in a union office is a plus
- Must be available to work mornings and evenings for various events throughout the year (as needed)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States and pass a background check
Salary: $24.00 per hour. This is a full-time position. Benefits include Pension and 401(k) plan, Health, Dental, and Vision. Position covered by OPEIU Local 537 collective bargaining agreement – Grade 2.
To Apply: Please email resume with cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working for the labor movement, as well as three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without the required qualifications will not be considered. No phone calls. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.