Garment Worker Center – Health and Safety Organizer
1250 S Los Angeles Street, Ste. 213, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Position Title: Health and Safety Organizer
Position Type: Half-Time (20 hours)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Start Date: September 2020 (as soon as possible)
Application Deadline: August 24, 2020
About GWC: Founded in 2001, the Garment Worker Center is a worker rights organization leading an anti-sweatshop movement to improve conditions for tens of thousands of Los Angeles garment workers. Through direct organizing, GWC develops leaders who demand enforcement of strong labor laws and accountability from factory owners, manufacturers, and fashion brands. We center immigrant workers, women of color, and their families who are impacted by exploitation in the fashion industry.
General Duties / Responsibilities
- Lead GWC’s health and safety programs, including
- Conducting outreach to workers
- Developing and conducting occupational health and safety training curriculum and materials, with an emphasis on COVID-19
- Identifying and developing worker trainers (“promotora/es”)
- Organizing and supporting worker-led councils in garment factories
- Coordinating resources and referrals for workers’ health needs, including food distribution
- Identifying campaign goals and targets together with organizing team
- Support the growth and development of GWC’s membership base of workers.
- Facilitate worker reports to health enforcement agencies, in coordination with our case management system.
- Collaborate in ongoing research and needs assessment of the local garment industry and workers’ health and safety needs.
- Participate and represent GWC in occupational health and safety coalitions and networks.
- Support fundraising efforts and other GWC activities, as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 2 years of experience
- Previous labor or community organizing experience
- Experience with campaign-based work
- Experience in leadership development and political education
- Experience in occupational health and safety law
- Experience training adult, immigrant workers from low-wage industries
- Strong commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections
- A desire to grow base-building organizations and build worker power
- A hunger to learn and experiment in a campaign setting
- Self-motivated but also works well in collective settings
- Able to prioritize and set goals
- Able to work flexible hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Must be proficient with LA’s public transportation system, or able to drive their own car or GWC’s van.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; Google Calendar, Google Drive
- Fluency in English and Spanish – both written and oral skills; additional fluency in Tojolabal, Zapoteco or Quiché is ideal.
- Compensation based on skills and experience.
- Generos paid sick time and holidays.
- Medical,dental and retirement benefits offered.
Send cover letter, resume, and three work references to Marissa Nuncio, GWC Director at email@example.com
THE GARMENT WORKER CENTER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, GENDER, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR AGE. ALL PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.