Field Representative Opening with UC-AFT at UCLA
University Council – AFT
The University Council – American Federation of Teachers is a statewide Council of nine Locals representing approximately 6,000 Librarians and Non-Senate Faculty (most of whom are Lecturers) at the University of California’s ten campuses and five medical centers. We are currently seeking a:
75% time Field Representative to support the UCLA Local.
THIS PERSON MUST RESIDE IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA.
Desired Start Date: July 1, 2019.
Field Representative Responsibilities: The Field Representative will report to the statewide Executive Director, while working closely with the UC-AFT President and the UCLA Local Executive Board. The Field Representative will enforce two contracts through the formal grievance procedure and unfair labor practice charges, as well informal mechanisms. This position will focus on grievance and representation at UCLA. Work supporting other UC-AFT locals may be assigned, though work will mostly be performed remotely from LA.
Additionally, the Field Representative will assist the Executive Director with a variety of tasks such as communicating information to the Local via e-mail, websites and social media, updating a membership database and grievance archive.
- Significant experience handling grievances and training member stewards
- Experience preparing cases for arbitration
- Experience filing unfair labor practices
- Good research, writing, data management, basic literature production and computer skills
- Experience in higher education, optimally with librarians and non-tenure-track faculty
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and efficiently in the context of a general plan
- Good interpersonal and group communication skills
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of union leadership or union staff experience
- California Driver’s license
- Proficient in using Mac computers with PC and mac software. Knowledge of Gmail and other google applications a plus
Salary: Pursuant to UFRE staff collective bargaining agreement; the full-time starting salary is currently $76,258.
This position is exempt and requires travel and attendance at evening/weekend events. 75% time is +/- 30 hours per week. It includes employer paid health benefits, a 401(k), and 4 weeks paid vacation.
Please send a résumé, contact information for three references, and a cover letter via e-mail to Bill Quirk, Director, UC-AFT: firstname.lastname@example.org.