External Organizers & Lead Organizers, Western States Regional Joint Board Workers United – SEIU
The Western States Regional Joint Board of Workers United-SEIU is a growing, progressive union of 10,000 workers at industrial laundries, warehouses, manufacturing, and other jobs in California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico.
Job Titles: External Organizer and Lead Organizer
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Central Valley, CA
External Organizers are responsible for recruiting and developing strong leaders among workers who do not yet have a union, and building an organized, militant membership capable of fighting for justice and winning power in their workplaces, industries, and communities.
Lead Organizers do all of this plus training, supervising, and developing plans for a team of organizers.
This position is for a bilingual (Spanish & English) external organizer to be based either in Los Angeles, CA or in California’s Central Valley. Some moving expenses may be reimbursed if necessary.
Responsibilities for all Organizing positions include:
- Recruit, train, and develop union leaders from among workers at non-union workplaces, including by house visits and workplace visits.
- Build worker committees capable of mobilizing co-workers to action and leading campaigns to organize their workplaces.
- Maintain databases with updated information from organizing campaigns.
- Create and carry out external organizing plans for multiple workplaces, design print & digital campaign materials, and research companies targets by organizing campaigns, with guidance from the Organizing Director.
- Promptly return phone calls and emails from workers.
- Assist with internal organizing efforts as needed.
- Driving, travel, and irregular/extended hours.
Qualifications for all Organizing positions:
- Minimum 1 year of experience as a Union Organizer (External); ideally 5 years or more as a Union Organizer with experience in both Internal and External organizing, including making house calls, building member committees, and maintaining organizing data.
- Ability to motivate and inspire working people to action.
- Basic knowledge of labor law and union organizing principles.
- Comfortable using computer to update organizing databases, create leaflets, correspond with e-mail, and scanning documents.
- Fluent in both Spanish and English, spoken and written. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license and car required.
Additional Responsibilities & Qualifications for Lead Organizer position include:
- Supervises & trains a team of organizing staff and member organizers, develops work plans and skills development plans for the organizing team, and develops and executes campaign tactics together with Organizing Director.
- Minimum 3 years experience as a Union Organizer (External).
- Ideally has experience supervising a team of organizers.
Language: Bilingual Spanish & English is required for all organizing positions.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience (according to Staff Union contract). Excellent benefits include car allowance, car insurance reimbursement, phone reimbursement, medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Women, immigrants, people of color, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and references with “External Organizer”or “Lead Organizer” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org.