Controller & Business Office Manager – AFSCME District Council 36
Job Description: Controller & Business Office Manager
Summary: Prepare monthly and annual financial reports, and other accounting as requested for the Executive Director, Financial Officers and Executive Board. Oversee and assist in prepare annual budget for Council, including revenue and expense projections in coordination with Executive Director, Financial Officers, for Executive Board approval. Coordinate all audit activities for external auditors, including overseeing of preparation of all Council accounts. Ensure effective implementation and processing of all International Union requirements and reporting, including census pension, 401K contributions, and benefit administration, Per Capita Tax Payments, minimum dues reporting and other actions as necessary. Oversee and manage all Council’s financial accounts. Oversee and manage all of the affiliate union’s dues payments and rebate/refund processing. Manage and troubleshoot A/P and A/R, payroll, reconciliations of general ledger, month end close/journal entries, benefits, union leave, staff expense processing.
Oversee coordination and timely payment to the Council’s PAC accounts, including interface with Council’s legal counsel.
Specific duties include:
- Maintain accurate records in QuickBooks, prepare monthly financial statements, monitor and improve systems for Account Payable/Accounts Receivable, review invoices.
- Maintain financial files for the Council.
- Analyze and advise on income and expense trends.
- Assist in annual budget planning and prepare month and year-to-date reports for the Board of Directors.
- Establish, improve, and monitor internal controls.
- Review and analyze bank accounts and credit card statements, ensure proper. documentation for all financial activity, reconcile monthly.
- Prepare bank deposits, and establish and maintain banking relationships.
- Oversee all tax and reporting obligations.
- Troubleshoot complex bookkeeping issues and technical problems in accounting software and data.
- Manage and maintain appropriate investment policy.
- Participate in financial audits and recommend and implement procedural improvements.
- Benefits administration including ACA compliance, 401K plan, liaison with health benefits trust and pension plan administrator.
- Maintain, oversee and secure appropriate insurance (property, general liability, directors & officers, surety & fiduciary bond) policies.
- Ensure compliance with government and non-governmental reporting requirements.
- Manage relationships with all vendors and contractors providing services supporting all departments.
- Supervise in lead capacity a bookkeeper employee to assist with the above duties
- Five (5) or more years progressive experience in accounting/auditing; experience working for a labor union or membership organization preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting. Certified Public Accountant preferred but not required.
- Competence with accounting software, particularly QuickBooks.
- Excellent computer skills in Windows operating systems and in a broad range of office applications, including a basic understanding of databases and an advanced facility with spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of tax reporting.
- Experience establishing departmental budgets and streamlining data flow to make accurate projections.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of established minimum coverage.
- The Controller & Business Manager is required to devote full time to the position and works a non-standard work week including evenings and weekends when required.
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com