Communications Specialist, Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE)
Founded in 1993, LAANE is a leading advocacy organization dedicated to building a new economy for all. Combining dynamic research, innovative public policy, and coalition convening, LAANE promotes an economic approach based on good jobs, thriving communities, and a healthy environment. Our work has included raising the minimum wage in 5 L.A. cities, greening our waste and recycling system, and creating good, green jobs at LADWP. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Position Description: The Communications Specialist will work with the Communications Director and team of communicators to help lead LAANE’s strategic communications work.
- Creating and curating website and social media content
- Shooting and curating photos for websites and social media pages
- Creating materials for internal and external use by campaign teams — social media graphics, flyers, fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Coordinating the development of graphic materials and reports
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for various campaigns
- Developing strategic messages and frames for campaigns
- Leading the branding of new campaigns
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters locally and nationally
- Planning and executing press conferences and other media events
- Placing stories regularly in mainstream and independent media sources
- Writing press releases, Op-Eds, and other materials for media
- Training spokespeople for public hearings, press conferences, and interviews
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key community and labor partners
- At least 3-5 years of experience doing communications and media work for social justice campaigns, and/or an Undergraduate Degree in public relations, journalism or related field
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience with website and social media platforms and tools, including WordPress, Canva, Tweetdeck
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communications plans, craft messages, and execute tactics
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working families
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bilingual (written and conversational) in Spanish is a plus
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are competitive, with a salary range of $48,000-60,000, depending on experience. Full family health benefits, 401(k), generous time off, TAP card pass, and parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: To apply, email resume and cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls; only best-qualified applicants will receive a response.
WOMEN, LGBTQ+, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY