Business Representative, IATSE Local 871
IATSE Local 871 is seeking candidates for the position of Business Representative to be based in Burbank, CA
IATSE Local 871 represents over 3000 members in the crafts of Art Department Coordinator, Production and Assistant Production Accountant, Production and Assistant Production Coordinator, Script Coordinator, Script Supervisor, Stage Manager, Teleprompter Operator and Writers’ Assistant working under a multitude of contracts negotiated in coalition with other industry locals.
The local has grown significantly over the last 5 years with new members of our existing crafts joining and last year’s successful organizing of Script Coordinators and Writers’ Assistants, bringing in over 600 new members.
IATSE Local 871 has one of the largest concentrations of female members in the IATSE Motion Picture & TV Production bargaining unit. One of the large ongoing projects for the local is our #ReelEquity campaign. This campaign seeks to achieve pay equity for our members working in majority and historically female crafts who are underpaid compared to the counterparts in traditionally male crafts. The membership covers a wide range of age and experience and benefits from involvement on the board, in committees and more by members with years of experience and members new to the local who are motivated to get involved early.
The Business Representative acts as the chief agent of & representative for the Local in matters relating to collective bargaining agreements, cooperation with other unions in the industry, contract enforcement, negotiations, membership advocacy, managing organizing, contract and other campaigns, financial oversight and reporting and other matters relating to the representation of its members and administration of the union.
The BR supervises a small staff doing supportive work which ranges from our Field Representative doing site visits all over Los Angeles to our invaluable office staff doing everything from member intake and continuing relations, accounting and weekly communication from the local out to the membership.
This position reports to the Board of Directors consisting of 5 executive officers and 10 directors. This position requires some travel as well as regular evening and weekend work.
- At least 3 years senior level experience representing unionized workers; experience working in crafts within the entertainment industry and/or unions in the industry a big plus.
- Must have supervised other staff, served as chief spokesperson in collective bargaining, played a key role in administering a union’s contract enforcement (including arbitration and internal and external organizing).
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required, preferably with a relevant degree in labor relations, law, or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proficiency with technology, as well as the ability to engage and build coalitions are highly desirable.
- Must possess a high degree of diplomacy when dealing with members, staff, and studio management, and have the ability to cultivate respectful, strategic, and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, both internally and externally.
- Must have the ability to work and thrive in a high pressure environment.
Starting salary commensurate with experience and industry norms and an excellent benefits package are provided.
Please submit via email a current résumé and cover letter detailing relevant skills and experience and three recent work references with contact phone information by September 18, 2019, to be considered in the first review round to:
Marisa Shipley – Vice President, IATSE Local 871
Additionally, confidential discussions with search consultant Ken Margolies are possible at 845-499-6636 or Kam47@cornell.edu.
Local 871 is an equal opportunity employer. The Local’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, marital status, including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, ancestry, military or veteran status, union membership or activity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.