Labor Studies Classes at LATTC
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019
Learn from labor union experts and help build a more powerful movement with these upcoming classes at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College.
Workplace Health and Safety
April 6 & 13, 2019
*April 20 is optional 3rd day to earn health and safety certificate
In this critically important Labor Center class, union officers, staff, stewards and activists will learn to prevent and respond to accidents, illnesses and other workplace dangers. Taught by UCLA’s Deogracia Cornelio and Hector Flores, this stimulating class examines health and safety rights and regulations and will help students develop the skills to improve working conditions for themselves and their co-workers.
SKILLS TO BE LEARNED INCLUDE HOW TO:
• Identify and control a full range of hazards and unsafe working conditions
• Recognize elements of an Illness and Injury Prevention Program, Cal/OSHA’s IIPP
• Conduct root-cause analysis and develop strategies to take successful action
• Communicate effectively about health and safety with employers
• Participate in effective workplace health and safety committees
• Effective access to Cal/OSHA and Workers’ Compensation Resources
Labor & Globalization
April 27 and May 4, 2019
Income Inequality – A Global Crisis Confronting Financial Elites Organized Labor’s Role in the “New” Economy The Real Impact of Trump Tariffs on American Workers Labor political economist Goetz Wolff explores the profound changes taking place in our region, our nation and the world in this timely and essential two-Saturday course. Designed for union leaders, officers, staff and activists, Labor and Globalization explores how financial, business and government practices adversely affect workers and what unions can do about it.
• The L.A. Economy and Jobs
• China, India and Mexico
• Public Sector Privatization
• Logistic Supply Chains
• Temps, Part-timers and “Independent Contractors”