Engineers & Architects Association was founded in 1894 by prominent engineers, architects and scientists who built the city of Los Angeles, the railways and implemented the water system. Today, EAA is a Labor Union with a membership of over 5200 City of Los Angeles employees assigned to four different Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) in 42 City Departments. Our
members hold professions such as City Planner, Analyst, Paralegal, Inspector, Investigator, Photographer, Accountant, Graphic Designer and more.
EAA is a professional and progressive Union that seeks to improve working conditions, achieve a better work-life balance and gain fair equitable contracts for our members. In addition, we strive to contribute to the City of Los Angeles with community outreach programs in all of the Council Districts and we support legislation that seeks to improve transportation, the environment and equity in Los Angeles.
POSITION SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working under the direction of the Executive Director, the Organizer will be responsible for coordinating organizing drives within the membership of EAA, conducting onsite visits with Labor Representatives to visit members and collect membership sign-ups. The Organizer will also attend New Employee Orientations to increase membership by presenting the benefits of joining EAA to new City employees. The Organizer may also be required to attend outreach events and membership meetings as needed.
Examples of Duties:
- Organize workers, identify workplace issues and execute worksite actions.
- Planning, mobilization, and turnout for worksite actions, union events, marches, etc.
- Conduct one-on-ones and/or site visits with members.
- Identify and recruit member leaders and stewards.
- Ability to learn/interpret the MOUs to effectively communicate with members and Labor
- Effectively communicate and engage members in union political endorsements and campaigning activities.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university in relevant field or equivalent experience in labor and community organizing such as:
- Experience working on political campaigns such as canvassing or phone banking.
- Experience working with a labor union, public policy, or non-profit organization that
- involves recruiting support or membership.
- Knowledge of union organizing practices and communicating the Union’s message.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and diverse team environment.
- Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly convey information and ideas both verbally and in writing across audiences.
- Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail, and Zoom.
- Valid driver’s license, use of a car for work, and liability automobile insurance coverage are mandatory.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience.
- Benefits include health insurance, dental, vision, acupuncture and chiropractic care, vacation, personal time off, sick time, and a Substantially Equal Periodic Payment (SEPP) retirement plan (after completion of a 6-month probationary period).
Email a resume with a cover letter explaining interest and qualifications to Executive Director Marleen Fonseca at email@example.com.