The Los Angeles County Federation of Labor (LA Fed) is a force for worker power, advancing policies that support a progressive vision for Los Angeles that fights for worker and civil rights and addresses workplace and income inequality. The LA Fed helps expand equality and opportunity in Los Angeles, representing more than 300 affiliated unions and more than 800,000 workers.
The Fed advances social and economic justice every day through organizing, political campaigns, policy advocacy, and community service, addressing income inequality and housing affordability to build a more equitable Los Angeles. The Fed has fought for and won critical victories, from enacting the highest minimum wage in the nation to the battle for more affordable housing and better jobs, workplace safety, and immigrant rights.
Through our partnerships, the Fed is fighting for equality and breaking down barriers for workers including women, immigrants, veterans, and the previously incarcerated, building a stronger economy and quality of life for all.
The LA Fed is seeking a Communications Associate, a digital and social media professional who will help advance and drive the agenda of the Fed in support of working families.
Reporting to the Communications Director, this position will support the director with a focus on running the Fed’s digital and social media channels, providing employees with tools for event and campaign marketing that supports the brand, and managing communications with the Fed’s member unions.
The successful candidate for this position will be an entrepreneurial digital native who thinks strategically and creatively about harnessing digital and social media as an advocacy tool and has demonstrated firsthand success in doing so. The candidate must operate as a self-starter and collaborative team player.
The associate will support the director in all communications department functions, primarily through the following:
- Implement editorial strategy and content development for the Fed’s social and digital media channels, including the web sites, Twitter, Facebook, and email newsletters, writing and posting content that increases the reach and influence of those channels
- Manage social media channels and websites and develop content
- Manage the communications department’s set of marketing guidance and tools to
- support Fed staff and members in promoting their programs and events with target
- audiences–including event flyers, brochures, and campaign materials–and partner and
- collaborate with Fed staff to ensure tools are meeting their needs and supporting program objectives
- Teach staff to use marketing tools to promote their events and programs, and to generate campaign content
- Support implementation of the Fed’s strategic communications plan, including launching new strategies and tactics to increase the reach and impact of the Fed’s work
- Manage process to collect news, photos, and video content from Fed activities and events, and continuously train employees who support that process
- Support and manage the Fed’s collaborative partnership with Los Angeles labor communicators, through online and offline activities, meetings, and trainings that help align messaging and increase the collective power of the labor movement
- Support collaborative communications campaigns with key civic partners
- Excellent writer and communicator, with an ability to recognize and craft compelling stories that inspire audiences to take action
- 2-3 years of experience running social and/or digital media channels for a progressive cause, philanthropy, or political or advocacy organization targeting ethnically diverse audiences
- Track record of excellence in developing and running successful advocacy campaigns through digital and social media channels and news vehicles
- Comfort working with email tools such as Constant Contact and ActionNetwork, and best-practice tactics such as A/B testing and calls to action, and interest/willingness to learn new tools quickly
- Basic competency with digital and multimedia creation and editing tools, such as WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva and/or other platforms
- Experience writing and developing key messages and providing tools and training to align messages among organization stakeholders
- Experience writing talking points, media materials, and media outreach
- Subject matter expertise around Los Angeles policy, the labor movement, and progressive causes
- Someone who thrives on achieving results and building and maintaining solid relationships with internal partners and clients
- Spanish fluency a plus; expertise and attunement to the diverse experiences and mindsets of people of color a must
This is a full-time position with benefits based at the Fed’s Los Angeles headquarters. While the Fed prioritizes a healthy life-work balance, some weekend and evening work will be required.
To apply for this position, send your resume to Christian Castro at firstname.lastname@example.org.