The Organization United for Respect (OUR) is seeking a field organizer based in Los Angeles, CA to help build communities of support, action, and leadership among people working in low wage retail jobs and their allies.
This position will also assist in the creation of a volunteer program helping to build a community of Spanish speaking retail workers who will provide peer support via OUR’s digital platform, WorkIt.
OUR is a dynamic organization of people working retail jobs dedicated to improving the lives of those working in the country’s largest job sector through peer workplace support and community building. OUR is a key driver in a new, dynamic movement that is changing the national conversation about low-wage work and empowering people with education around their workplace rights and community based resources so they can achieve job stability and improve working conditions. OUR’s success derives from its investment in developing high level leadership from its base and using social media to connect people into communities of peer support and action.
OUR is most known for OUR Walmart, a national organization of current and former Walmart associates that has achieved national scale and impact through an innovative fusion of workplace based and on-line outreach and education as well as strong community partnerships. Hundreds of leaders around the country anchor OUR Walmart’s work, and tens of thousands of retail workers in all 50 states use OUR Walmart’s tools at their worksite or online. OUR Walmart members support each other, share information around their rights and resources, advocate for improved workplace conditions, share their stories publicly, propose policy improvements, participate in intensive leadership training, and build alliances with community partners.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Recruit and develop new members, leaders and activists.
- Works with the senior leadership team to develop and implement the long term
strategic growth plan.
- Participates in planning, strategy, and implementation of all work and campaigns
- Learn and utilize organizing tools and technology that supports the organizing
- Grow and develop OUR’s regional and constituency based online network.
- Build a volunteer network of people who work in retail to provide ongoing
bilingual workplace support via WorkIt in Spanish.
- Build meaningful partnerships with community allies to support campaigns, our
members, and core organizing work.
- Performs other duties as needed to support the overall mission.
- Minimum 2 years organizing campaign experience.
- Experience identifying and recruiting members in campaigns.
- Strong writing and communications skills.
- Good oral communication, listening and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in written and verbal Spanish.
- Excellent self management skills, with the ability to work independently as
- Knowledge of basic word processing (Microsoft Word/ Google Docs),
spreadsheet software (Excel), email and Facebook.
- Maintain a flexible working schedule, with the ability to work evening, weekends
or over holidays as needed.
- Must have car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and
travel as needed.
Salary range is $40,000 – $55,000 dependent on experience. OUR is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply: please send resume to email@example.com