The Organization United for Respect (OUR) is seeking a Coordinator based in California, preferably Los Angeles, to help lead, shape and build communities of support, action, and leadership among people working in low wage retail jobs and their allies.
This position will also be driving the creation of a volunteer program helping to build a community of Spanish speaking retail workers who will provide peer support via OUR’s digital platform, WorkIt. The Coordinator will work in partnership with (and help broaden) a cadre of alliance partners to help generate digital content on legislative and corporate policy for WorkIt.
OUR is a dynamic organization of people working retail jobs dedicated to improving the lives of those working in the country’s largest job sector through peer workplace support and community building. OUR is a key driver in a new, dynamic movement that is changing the national conversation about low-wage work and empowering people with education around their workplace rights and community based resources so they can achieve job stability and improve working conditions. OUR’s success derives from its investment in developing high level leadership from its base and using social media to connect people into communities of peer support and action. OUR is most known for OUR Walmart, a national organization of current and former
Walmart associates that has achieved national scale and impact through an innovative fusion of workplace based and on-line outreach and education as well as strong community partnerships.
Hundreds of leaders around the country anchor OUR Walmart’s work, and tens of thousands of retail workers in all 50 states use OUR Walmart’s tools at their worksite or online. OUR Walmart members support each other, share information around their rights and resources, advocate for improved workplace conditions, share their stories publicly, propose policy improvements, participate in intensive leadership training, and build alliances with community partners.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Program development and implementation and coordinating various campaigns
and projects and their components.
- Grow and develop OUR regional and constituency based online network;
- Identify and recruit new OUR leaders & members, providing ongoing mentorship
and training to leaders and members
- Coordinates the work, training and development for organizing staff.
- Build a volunteer network of people who work in retail to provide ongoing
bilingual workplace support via WorkIt in Spanish.
- Build meaningful partnerships with community allies to support campaigns, our
members, and core organizing work.
- Leverage digital organizing tools to support core organizing work, train staff and
leaders in new technologies and strategies.
- Performs other duties as needed to support the overall mission
- Minimum 5 years organizing campaign experience.
- Experience developing leaders, staff and members in campaigns.
- Demonstrated proficiency in lead organizer skills and lead organizing experience.
- Strong writing, research and communications skills.
- Good oral communication, listening and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in written and verbal Spanish.
- Excellent self management skills, with the ability to independently set, maintain, and execute weekly goals. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the ability to manage time efficiently, display the ability to prioritize and work under multiple, competing deadlines, and multitask with grace and competence.
- Technical proficiency: demonstrated ease working with databases, CRMs (ActionNetwork, NationBuilder), online document tools (Google Docs/sheets).
- Familiarity with digital strategies and technologies, having experience incorporate digital tools into a campaign plan and action
- Maintain a flexible working schedule, with the ability to work evening, weekends or over holidays as needed.
- Must have car and be able to drive and maintain a valid driver’s license, and travel as needed.
Salary Range: $40,000 to $60,000 salary or contract equivalent annually depending on experience. OUR is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.