English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor
The Hospitality Training Academy (HTA) is seeking to add to our top-notch team of
independent trainers and instructors who provide high-level training to hundreds of
hospitality UNITE HERE Local 11 members and participating employers, including hotels,
airports, and sports venues in Los Angeles. The HTA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution
and labor-management partnership/Taft-Hartley Fund that provides benefits to both
employers and the UNITE HERE Local 11 labor union.
The HTA is seeking dynamic, motivated and diverse candidates for ESL instructor positions to
engage and educate our participants. The ESL Instructor is accountable for preparing and
providing customized curriculum development. The ESL Classes are specialized for the
hospitality industry and the need of individual partner-employers. The classes are taught in
Instructors will be providing English classes to employees of the hotel (such as Room
Attendant or Dishwasher/Utility) and venues who have limited access to quality English
classes as well as new to industry students. The classes are specifically tailored to the
needs and limitations of the employees in order to ensure success. The course focuses
on engaging trainees with practical information and instruction that improves performance
and customer satisfaction at their place of employment, or prepares participants to enter the
The ESL Instructor is an independent contractor for the HTA and works directly with the HTA
Director of Operations and the HTA Project Director. Classes are held at the
partner-employer facilities, at the HTA headquarters, and/or at partner locations.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
● Prepare materials and resources relevant to ESL classes, including a comprehensive
syllabus, handouts, quizzes, tests, and assignments as needed for each course
● Formulates curriculum, teaching outlines, and determines instructional methods such as
individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations, conferences, meetings,
● Selects or develops teaching aids such as training handbooks, demonstration models,
multimedia visual aids, computer tutorials, and reference workshops
● Reports on progress of employees under guidance during training periods
● Maintains sign-in sheets, trainee attendance, and progress records for audit purposes
● Facilitates day and night classes, as needed
POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK POSITION
This is an independent contractor position; hours of work and days vary; a flexible work
schedule is required.
Local travel is expected for this position to HTA Headquarters and companies or partners
located in Los Angeles County.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
● Enthusiastic personality and a passion for teaching
● Minimum of two years related teaching experience of those with limited education
● Previous experience in training or facilitating small and large group meetings
● Ability to interpret technical data, processes, operating, and maintenance instructions,
● Strong presentation skills and knowledge of adult learning techniques
● Knowledge and experience with the hospitality sector a plus
● Minimum BA degree from an accredited institution or higher education
● Must be eligible to legally work in the US and have a valid Driver’s License
● Bilingual Spanish Preferred
Please Note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Send resume to: Sandra.Ko@LAHTA.org